I went out and spent around 3 hours picking blackberries since they are starting to get ripe, and I have now run out of blackberry wine. The berries seemed to be smaller this year, maybe it is a bit early in the season or they didn’t get enough water, so it took a while to get the amount I wanted. I ended up with 20 pounds of fresh blackberries to use for this wine.
Put 20 pounds of fresh blackberries into primary bucket. Stirred vigorously with a large metal spoon to break up the berries. Mixed in the sugar, and topped with water to about 5.5 gallons of volume. I tested the OG and then added the yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, and yeast. I then sealed the primary bucket with a blow-off tube.
8-26-19: Prepared wine in primary bucket. OG measured at 1.125 giving a potential alcohol of 16.5% ABV
9-12-19: Racked the wine from the primary bucket into a 5-gallon carboy, leaving around 1.5 gallons of fruit pulp/yeast behind.
6-13-20: Bottled in 43 12-ounce bottles. FG measured at 1.002 giving a strength of about 18% ABV.