I had bought a 5lb bottle of honey at the local Bangladeshi store a year or so ago, because it was $10, thinking I would make some mead from it one day. Somewhere along the line I had picked up another 5lb bottle, but over the last year I guess I’ve used a bit in cooking and such, so I only had 8.75lbs left. That limited me to about a 3 gallon batch for the OG I was aiming for.
Put the dry yeast into 2oz of water and let it sit in the fridge. Put the bottles of honey in a hot-water bath to reduce their viscosity. Boiled 2.5 gallons of water, then switched the stove off. Added the honey and then rinsed the two bottles out with the just-boiled water to get all of the honey out. Stirred the honey in and let this sit. After a little while, I moved it to the fridge to cool faster. When it got down to 80ºF, measured OG at 1.104, making the actual OG 1.107 with a potential alcohol content of 14%. Added yeast and transferred to carboy for fermenting.
Fermentation has appeared slow, I think in part to the large amount of headspace. I added 1.5 tsp of yeast energizer today and racked it to a new 3 gallon carboy to aerate it. It’s pretty full, but I’m thinking I shouldn’t have foaming issues with the mead. Definitely got action in the airlock now though.
The energizer really kicked things off. The mead was bubbling steadily and gradually slowed over the last two weeks. It is still bubbling, but now down to once every 35 seconds or so.
Bottled with a final gravity of 1.055, giving 7.87% ABV. Nice and clear, light in color with a strong bouquet.