Blackberry Wine II


Posted by Nate

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011

Last Update: June 13, 2020

Blackberries are just starting to ripen this year after a colder than normal summer. Went out and picked berries for about 2 hours and ended up with around 27 pounds. I will make a larger batch this year since last years Blackberry Wine turned out pretty well. This year, however, I won’t use my steam juicer and am hoping for more of a blackberry flavor in the final product.

Blackberry Wine II

4.5 Gallons
20.00 lbFresh blackberries, frozen
11.50 lbSugar
3.25 tspYeast nutrient
2.00 tspPectic enzyme
1.50 tspAcid Blend
3.00 TabletsCampden tablet
1.00 PacketCote des Blancs Wine Yeast


Weight out 20 pounds of blackberries and put them in my large brew pot. I then added enough water to reach the level the blackberries were at. I heated the blackberries up to 150 F and let them steep for 30 minutes. During this time I used a hand mixer to break up the berries as well as I could. When the 30 minutes was up, I added the berries to my primary bucket. I then added water to reach 5 gallons (allowing about a gallon for the fruit cap and sediment on this wine). Measured the gravity of the blackberry juice and it was 1.021, so I added 11.5 pounds of sugar to get the OG up to 1.1000. After adding sugar the volume was up to about 6 gallons. I then added the yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, acid blend, and Campden tablets to the primary bucket. I sealed theĀ  bucket to sit and sterilize until I add the yeast.

8-30-11: Put into primary with Campden tablets. Original Gravity measured at 1.100. Will add yeast in 24 hours.

9-1-11: Pitched the yeast.

9-14-11: Filtered and racked the wine into 4 1-gallon carboys and one 1/2-gallon carboy. OG Measured at 1.002 giving a strength of 13.9 %ABV.

4-29-12: Bottled into 46 12-ounce bottles. FG measured at 0.994, 14.1 %ABV. Tried to measure the acidity, but because it is a dark colored wine I didn’t see any color change occur.


Tags: , , ,

Trackback: URL

No comments yet.

Leave a Comment