Mac & Jack’s African Amber Clone


Posted by Nate

Friday, August 6th, 2010

Last Update: July 29, 2011

Mac & Jack’s African Amber Clone

5.5 Gallons, Extract
GrainsSteep at 155° F
1.00 lbMunich 10L60 minutes
0.50 lbCara-Pils60 minutes
0.50 lbCrystal 80L60 minutes
ExtractTotal Boil Time
8.50 LbPale Malt Extract60 minutes
1.00 ozCentennial (10.5% AA)60 minutes
1.00 ozCascade (6.3% AA)5 minutes
1.00 ozCascade (6.3% AA)Dry hop in secondary
YeastCool wort to 75° F
1 packageWyeast 1098 British AlePitched from packet
1.00 ozDried Orange Peel (sweet)20 minutes
4.00 ozPriming SugarBottling


Heated up 1.5 gallons of water to 155 F and added the steeping grains for 1 hour. After steeping, I rinsed the grains with another 1.5 gallons of water. The wort was then heated to a boil as the liquid malt extract was added and dissolved.

When the boil began the 1 oz of Centennial hops were added for bittering at 60 minutes. At 20 minutes the orange peels went in. At 15 minutes and at 5 minutes I added 0.5 oz of Cascade to the wort for flavor and aroma (one more ounce will be added to the secondary to dry hop, giving even more aroma).

When the hour of boiling was done, I cooled down the wort with an initial cold water bath in running cold water in the sink. I strained the wort when pouring into my primary to remove the boiled hops as usual, but this also strained out the orange peel. I’m not sure if the peel should have been left in for more flavor, but time will tell. I added ice and cold water to my primary and pitched the yeast and attached the airlock when the temperature hit 75 F.

8-6-10: Put into primary, OG measured at 1.063 (8.0% potential alcohol).

8-8-10: SG measured at 1.026

8-10-10: SG measured at 1.020. Racked to secondary carboy and added 1 ounce Cascade hops. Will bottle after 10 days of dry hopping.

8-21-10: FG measured at 1.020, giving 5.9 %ABV in this beer. I added 4 ounces of priming sugar to one pint of heated water, and then added this to my bottling bucket. I racked the beer off of the yeast and hops in the carboy onto the sugar water in the bottling bucket. From there, I filled 52 12-ounce bottles and marked the caps with blue paint to distinguish them.


Tags: , ,

Trackback: URL

No comments yet.

Leave a Comment