Blackberries are in season now so I am making use of them. I have wanted to try this for a few months and now I finally get to, some nice blackberry wine. Two and a half hours of picking gave me twelve and a half pounds of berries. Here is the recipe I came up with, simple but should be tasty.
Cleaned all of the berries of debris after picking, and then the berries were frozen for a week or so until I could make the wine. To begin, I put all of the berries into my steam juicer, completely filling it up. I then turned on the heat and let it begin warming up, and then juiced the blackberries for a little over an hour. This yielded about 5 quarts of nice dark blackberry juice.
The blackberry juice was collected in my 3-gallon primary bucket. I added some ice and cold water to bring the temperature down to about 80 F. I then mixed in enough sugar to reach a starting point of 1.090-95, which happened to be 4.5 pounds of sugar, all of the sugar I had in my house at the time. After getting my desired gravity, I added the pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, acid blend, and crushed Campden tablets.
8-30-10: Put into primary with Campden tablets. Original Gravity measured at 1.091. Will add yeast in 24 hours.
8-31-10: Added the dry wine yeast from the packet and stirred the must well.
9-7-10: SG measured at 1.006. Racked to 2 one-gallon carboys and 1 half-gallon carboy.
10-7-10: Racked off of the yeast and sediment. SG measured at 0.990, and I added about 10 ounces of water to top up the carboys after racking.
2-14-11: Bottled wine into 12-ounce bottles.