Its the end of summer and our zucchini plants have been pretty productive this year. I decided to use a couple of our larger zucchini and try a Spiced Zucchini Wine recipe that my brother sent to me. I made a few changes and decided not to add lemons and oranges for acid because I feel that is a bit too imprecise, and that is the reason my Dandelion Wine turned out so acidic. I will used acid blend instead after measuring the TA%.
Heated one gallon of water to a boil. While it was heating I thinly sliced my ounce of ginger, leaving the skin on. I then added the ginger to the water when it began boiling, and simmered for 15 minutes.
As the ginger steeped, I washed my zucchini. I then cut them into four sections lengthwise and sliced them thin. I added the cut zucchini to my primary bucket. I also added the sugar on top of the zucchini.
After the 15 minute steep was done, I poured the boiling water over the sugar and zucchini in my primary bucket. I then added the acid blend and crushed Campden tablets. TA% was 0.6 and the OG was 1.110 giving a potential strength of 14.4 %ABV.
10-23-11: Put the wine into primary with Campden tablets. OG measured at 1.110.
10-24-11: Pitched the yeast and stirred it into the must.
10-26-11: No airlock activity yet. I removed the blow-off tube and attached a regular airlock. I added 1.5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient and moved the primary bucket to a warmer location (from 55 F to 65 F) in hopes of getting it to start fermenting.
10-28-11: Fermentation was just beginning to start yesterday. Today the airlock is bubbling away steadily and the yeast is finally doing its job.
12-17-11: Finally got around to straining and racking this to a secondary 1-gallon carboy. FG measured at 0.990 giving it a strength of 14. %ABV. Has a pale color with a green tint, and tastes strongly of ginger.
10-16-12: Bottled into 10 12-ounce bottles. The wine tastes very much like ginger, and it is not one of my favorites. I will be giving it plenty of time to age and see if it gets any better.