Jeff and I made up another batch of brew today. We decided to do something similar to what we have been drinking and enjoying lately, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I found this recipe for an American Pale Ale, specifically a Sierra clone, and made a couple alterations due to the availability of supplies. This should be a quicker beer, about three weeks out to the drinking stage, so it will be a nice change from the last lager style beer we did.
|1 Lb||Crystal 40L|
|6.5 Lb||Pale Malt Extract|
|3 oz||Cascade (7.1% AA)|
|1 oz||Perle (7.5% AA)|
|1 package||Wyeast 1056 American Ale|
|1 tsp||Brewing Salts|
|1/2 cup||Priming Sugar|
Activated the yeast packet and then headed to the store for some supplies. Returned with malt extract, some malted grain, and some hops. We then heated about 2.5 gallons of water with a pinch of brew salts to 160F and began steeping the 1 pound of Crystal malt in a grain bag. Steeping continued for 30 minutes at the same temperature, Jeff constantly stirring the wort to get to most out of our malted grains.
After steeping, the wort was heated to boiling as the malt extract was added and dissolved in the wort. When boiling began we set the timer for 60 minutes and added our first set of hops. The first hop addition was 1oz of Perle, this was for bittering the beer. With 15 minutes left we added 0.8 oz of Cascade hops, good aroma and taste hops. At 5 minutes 1.2 oz more of Cascade hops were added.
When the 60 minutes of boil time was done, the wort was strained into a bucket with 2 gallons of ice water. This brought the temperature to about 85F, so we let the wort sit and cool for a while. When the temperature reached 75F we pitched the yeast, attached the airlock, and put the primary bucket in the basement to ferment.
Put into primary on 3-24-10. Original Gravity measured at 1.047 (6.23% potential alcohol). Bitterness came out to be 40.2 IBU. This will sit in the primary for one week, and then it will be racked to a carboy and dry-hopped with 1oz of Cascade hops.
On 3-26-10 the beer had not started fermenting. I had originally added a packet of Wyeast 1272 American Ale II that had been sitting in our fridge for about 6 months, but it didn’t seem to be propagating. I added a fresh Wyeast 1056 American Ale to get the fermentation started, and it was going by the end of the day.
On 4-2-10, after one week of primary fermentation at 64 F, I racked the beer to a 6 gallon carboy. I also added 1 oz of Cascade hops (pellets) to the beer, dry hopping for aroma. The gravity was measured at 1.010.
Bottled the beer into 52 bottles on 4-10-10, adding 1/2 cup of priming sugar for carbonation. The final gravity was 1.005, meaning that the beer is 5.56% ABV. After about a week these will be ready to drink and try; they smelled very nice and should turn out well.