Another plum wine, this time with Santa Rosa plums from the store instead of the home -grown Italian plums I used in my previous batches. These plums are very ripe, getting a bit soft, and have a nice dark red color to them. I am going to make this wine without an initial recipe; I will juice the fruit, measure the SG and adjust to around 1.090, and try to add as little water as possible. This is in the hopes of getting more fruit flavor from the wine by adding less water, and also to try a slightly different method. I’m also making this wine a little weaker, so that I have some more variety in the strengths of the wines I am making this year.
Washed and halved all of the plums, removing the stems and pits. Added all of the cut plums to the juicer, filling it almost to the top, and then turned on the heat and let the steam juicer work its magic. The yield was 1.75 gallons of juice at 1.044, and I was happy with that. I added sugar and water to reach a volume of a little over 2 gallons and an OG of 1.072.
I tested the acidity of the wine and it was 0.48% TA, so I added 1 tsp of acid blend to reach a TA of 0.55%. I then added the pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and grape tannin to the must. After letting the wine cool to about 90 F, I pitched the yeast and sealed the bucket with an airlock.
10-23-10: Put into primary bucket, OG measured at 1.072.
11-6-10: Racked to two 1-gallon carboys, SG measured at 1.000.
4-14-11: Bottled into 21 12-ounce bottles.