Plum Wine II


avatar

Posted by Nate

Tuesday, September 21st, 2010

Last Update: April 14, 2011




It’s time to use the plums before they all fall from the tree and spoil.  A lot of our plums are already splitting open on the tree from being ripe and having all the moisture we’ve been getting the past couple weeks. I am making the same recipe I made last year for plum wine because it turned out really well. The only differences this time is that I am going to use my steam juicer to get the juice from all the plums instead of mashing them in the primary, and I am using a different kind of yeast.

Plum Wine II

4 Gallons
OG: 1.124 FG: 1.000 %ABV: 16.3 TA: 0.57%
Sugars
20.00 lb Fresh Plums
10 lb Sugar
Additives
1.50 tsp Yeast nutrient
0.75 tsp Pectic enzyme
0.50 tsp Grape Tannin
2.00 Tbsp Acid Blend
Yeast
1.00 Packet Lalvin 71B-1122

Process:

Washed and halved all of the plums, removing the stems and pits. I then added all the fruit to my steam juicer, filling it all the way to the top with only 15 lbs of the plums. I started heating the water and let it juice for about 30 minutes before adding in the remaining 5 lbs of plums (I gave it time for the plums in the steam juicer to cook down a bit, giving me more room for the remaining plums.) I ended up juicing the plums for 2 hours, twice as long as I expected. The skins and pulp were clogging the small holes and slowing the juice from dripping through. I mixed the pulp a few times and tried to scrape it off the sides and bottom to let more juice through. At the end, I came away with 1.75 gallons of juice with an OG of about 1.040.

I cool water until I reached 4 gallons, and added in my sugar to reach a OG of 1.124. I then measured the acidity of the wine. Initial TA was 0.35%, so I added 2 Tbsp of acid blend to raise the TA to 0.57% (a TA of 0.60% is recommended for fruit wines.) I added the grape tanning, pectic enzyme, and yeast nutrient. I am again skipping Campden tablets as I believe the steam juicing process kills any wild yeast and bacteria and pasteurizes the juice. When the must reached 85 F, I pitched in my dry yeast and sealed the bucket with an airlock.

9-21-10: Put into primary bucket, OG measured at 1.124.

10-2-10: Racked to 5-gallon carboy. SG measured at 1.040.

10-17-10: Racked the wine again, there was about three inches of sediment and yeast that had settled to the bottom of the carboy. SG measured at 1.032.

4-14-11: Bottled into 37 12-ounce bottles.

 

Tags: , , , ,

Trackback: URL

3 Comments on "Plum Wine II"

  1. avatar Erroll says:

    I like the idea of using a steam juicer. Alcohol content is higher than I would have expected; how did you decide on your target gravity?

    Erroll

  2. avatar Nate says:

    Erroll,

    The steam juicer is new to me but I do like using it. I’ve made a few batches of wine with it this Summer (rhubarb, blackberry, blueberry, plum) but none of them are ready to drink yet, so the results are still unknown. I expect it will turn out to be fine, though I have read that sometimes the wine can have the flavor of cooked fruit instead of fresh fruit.

    I made a batch of plum wine the traditional way (sans juicer) last year, and the OG I happened to achieve on that recipe was 1.125. You can see that recipe here http://beer.sterr-bros.com/2009/09/23/plum-wine/ That batch of plum wine turned out rather nicely compared to the couple other wines I had made up to that point (cherry and pear), and the few bottles I still have left are delicious. So, I decided to aim for the same recipe and gravity this time around as well.

    As a side note, I’m using Italian plums.
    Italian Plums

  3. avatar Carla Simmons says:

    Delicious, thank you for the tips.

Leave a Comment